Saturday, February 3, 2007

Visual outcome in herpes simplex virus and varicella zoster virus uveitis: a clinical evaluation and comparison.

Ophthalmology. 2002 Aug;109(8):1532-7.

Immunology and Uveitis Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA.

PURPOSE: To compare clinical characteristics and outcomes in patients with uveitis caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV) and varicella zoster virus (VZV). DESIGN: Retrospective comparative study. PARTICIPANTS: Forty patients with HSV uveitis and 24 patients with VZV uveitis. METHODS: A retrospective study of 40 patients with HSV and 24 patients with VZV uveitis was performed. The patients were followed between May 1987 and September 1999 (median follow-up time, 46 months). The diagnosis of HSV uveitis was made clinically and serologically, and the diagnosis of VZV uveitis was made clinically. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Clinical presentation of the disease, ocular complications, visual acuity, surgical and medical treatments needed. RESULTS: Both populations were comparable for gender and age at disease onset. The course of the disease tended to be remitting and recurrent in HSV patients and chronic in VZV patients (P = 0.046). The most frequent ocular complication in both groups was secondary glaucoma (54% HSV, 38% VZV). Twenty-five percent of VZV patients developed posterior pole complications (cystoid macular edema, epiretinal membrane, papillitis, retinal fibrosis, and detachment) compared with 8% of HSV patients (P = 0.069). Treatment modalities selected were generally similar in the two groups, although periocular and systemic steroids were required more frequently in HSV patients (60% versus 25%; P = 0.01). Surgical procedures were required with similar frequency in both populations. The percentage of eyes that were legally blind at end of follow-up was also comparable (HSV, 20%; VZV, 21%). The visual outcome was similar in the studied populations. CONCLUSIONS: This study represents the only direct comparison of HSV and VZV uveitis patients reported in the literature. HSV patients were more likely to be treated with periocular and systemic steroids, and VZV patients were more likely to develop posterior pole complications (a finding of borderline significance). Other parameters evaluated in this study were not statistically different in the two patient groups.

PMID: 12153807 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7 comments:

Joyce Benson said...

Am Joyce, Herpes wanted to destroy me, but with the help of Dr.Ekpiku i escaped the death that was on my way, i am here to testifies on how Dr Ekpiku help me to cure my sickness called Herpes which has been eating me up for 2 years and 4 months, i also saw online how he has cured so many people, Dr Ekpiku is a great herbalist that treats and cure all manner of diseases like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, and solves life's problems that you might have etc.. contact him today and he will help you solved your problem, contact him via ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call +2348073673757 OR whatsapp him. THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. HERPES. HIV/AIDS. CANCER.

henry shayna said...

I can’t believe my genitial herpes is really cured, oh is by this time last year I start feeling bad about my life, I feel pain everyday of my life am very happy now that am really cured I couldnt have do this on my own I wish is not God that help me with my helper I was searching the internet about this sickness last 3month when I found about great doctor abegbe, the man that keep his words I write the man email about my problem immediately I get a reply from him asking me to fill a form which I immediately did and send back to him after some mins he reply me that he have work on my cure that I need to provide some materials, which can enable him to work on my cure which I did on the next day of it, after some hours he inform me that he have getting the things needed for the cure and he is about to go on with the curing spell he called me again after 50mins that he is done with the cure that I should check my body and also go for test I cant believe I was negative a big thanks to him am very happy now with my family you can also get your self cured too from this sickness by contact him through DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM if you need any information about him cantact me email:danielpaisley1@gmail.com or call him on +2348167022540

Unknown said...

Am Tanya Albert,I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes... I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr. Ekpiku's contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Ekpiku herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Ekpiku and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call him +2347055029151)

william Michael said...

few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had Herpes about 1 year ago and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online a lot of people says they got herpes cure from DR.IMOUDU and I contacted DR.IMOUDU that same day I purchase his cure online, after two weeks of taking the herbel treatment i got cured totally. i tested negative all thank to DR.IMOUDU you can also reach him on his email: [DR.IMOUDUHEALERTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM ] or message him on WhatsApp +2348109609753 God bless you

Monica Daniels said...

I had body itching, pain during urination and blistering sores on my genital area. So, I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. I was given some Antiviral medications to reduce the severity, but it got worse with the pain and its reappearing was longer than the disappearing. So, I went seeking other means to cure the disease and that was how I got to know Dr. Oda who helped cure the disease. It’s been a year since I got cured and i haven’t had any pain or symptoms of HSV. Also, i was confirmed negative at the hospital. You too can be rescued by this doctor. Contact: (drodasolution@gmail.com Tel/whatsapp: +234 805 761 6299)

Silva Tim said...

Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes simplex been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr ubarlo but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr ubarlo, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after one weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up a , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer reach him through Email drubarlohome@gmail.com OR add on whatsapp +2348119508814

Jeremy Bowman said...

Contact Dr Razor on his Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/HerbalistrazorMedicinalcure/ for Hiv/Aids Complete cure ,HSV 1&2 and cold sores, herpes etc. He helped me Obliterate HPV and HSV2 after using his wonderful herbal medicine for just 18 days. You can also place an order for any kind of herbal medicine to cure any kind of illness totally from the body contact Herbalist Razor on email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com . Whatsapp/Call +2349065420442